Monday, November 3, 2014

Writing a Letter to a Constituent

In my office I write letters to constituents pretty regularly.  I try to get 5-6 letters done a day, which is nothing to the amount of letters and emails that we receive, everyday. To write a letter to a constituent you must be very broad yet you need to answer some of their questions. This requires careful language and a form letter that includes the representative’s opinion on the matter.
In the first paragraph, I usually tell the person that their opinion matters to the congressman and thank them for writing to the congressman. I also re-introduce the topic to the person just in case they forgot about what they had written into about. In the second paragraph, I usually include the basics of the bill or topic that the person mentioned. I try to explain or summarize the topic. I also try to give some type of background knowledge on the bill or topic in case the reader didn’t already know. In the third paragraph, I give the congressman’s opinion and try to reason with the constituent. I usually write that I understand their issue or problem and that the congressman is trying to help through certain avenues.
            In the fourth paragraph, I explain where the topic or bill stands currently. I also tell the reader that the congressman votes transparently.  I give the ways he explains his vote. I then write a thank you for writing into the letter. After writing the letter, I proof it and send it through an online grammar check. Then I send it off to my supervisor that will edit it to perfection

No comments:

Post a Comment