Monday, November 3, 2014

Briefings on the Hill

Sometimes my internship requires me to go briefings that happen around the capitol grounds that one of the legislative assistants or directors need me to go too. I really love to go these events around the capitol grounds because it provides an opportunity to learn about something new and exciting. Over the course of my internship I have been given so many lectures on so many diverse topics. These topics range from childhood eating disorders to the benefits of soy products to the hearings on the secret service. So many briefings happen daily on the hill. It is actually amazing because these briefings require outside funding and outside support in order to be given in the capitol and to have such range of diverse topics really is an ode to the diversity on capitol hill among the representatives and senators that invite the briefings to happen.
           
Often the best part of a briefing is the food options. They seem to always have so many different types of food at each briefing. Much like college, lobbyists know that food is one of the only ways to get employees to attend briefings. They feed the employees while also giving the employees information on the topic. Sometimes it is sad though because people will often only come to get food, which is disrespectful to the lobbyist that has put a lot of effort into the presentation. I try to always be as professional as possible during briefings. They are probably one of the most interesting parts of my day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi James. That sounds so exciting. I know I would love to do that! It is also really interesting that you get to attend all of those briefings as an intern because I am sure you definitely learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James, sounds like you get to experience a lot of interesting things on the job. Ideally all those experiences will help you lock down exactly what type of things will interest you in your career as well.

    ReplyDelete