Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Career Services 2


Last Friday I attended a cover letter and interviewing training class, which was an extremely important lecture for me to attend because my resume can always benefit from help.  I learned several things from this training during the cover letter portion I learned that you should include language in your cover letter that is listed in expected skills in the job posting. You should always use very specific examples and highlight past jobs that relate to the job you are applying for. I learned my cover letters always needs to be tailored to each specific job I am applying to. My last paragraph in my letter should always include my goals and passions as well. Lastly, I learned that generally anything I send should be saved as a PDF so that my documents don’t format weirdly on another person’s computer. For an interview, I learned I needed to research the company that I applying too and specifically people in the company that could be interviewing me. They said I should always develop some questions before I go to the interview and have them ready to ask in order to show that I am interested. Practicing seems to be the best way to prepare for interviews and preparing answers to common questions is incredibly important. During the interview, I learned how important it is to discuss your past experiences and to be extremely specific throughout every example you are explaining. It was incredibly informational and I am happy to have gone to it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice.....I was going to go to this one but got real busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polishing up your resume is crucial. Career services is amazing. I have you thought about uploading your resume on LinkedIn? I have received some great tips on new public service/nonprofit jobs. Its great resource for students.

    ReplyDelete