Monday, September 15, 2014

Typical Day in My Office

I have said in the past that a typical day at my internship can change regularly. I come to work at 7:45 A.M. every morning where I find a stack of daily newspapers and journals on my desk. I usually throw away most of the newspapers and keep three different newspapers on the front table (Politico, Washington Post, New York Times) in order for constituents and the office staff to take a look at if anything is important.

After I am done with the newspapers, I open up the phone lines and check my email. I answer any emails that have come in from office staff. I usually make a list of things I need to do from those emails and then I move to check the Congressman’s voting record for the day before. I try to educate myself on the congressman’s opinion because I get calls from constituents that ask for his voting record and why he voted that way. By this time, I most likely would have received a phone call (which I get throughout the day) and I would listen and try to answer what ever I was being asked by a constituent.


Throughout the day, I will check the congressman’s social media and post different types of events and postings to his facebook and twitter page. I go to lunch at 12 o’clock and eat at the library of congress cafeteria. When I get back if I haven’t already started a project I will ask if anybody needs help from me and do whatever they need. I try to look at the representatives work schedule and prepare for the following days and week ahead. I might give a tour that day which takes up at least 2 hours. While my schedule continues to change though throughout everyday I work at the office and I seem to be introduced to a new daily task as I become more trusted in the office.

2 comments:

  1. Hi James,

    What an interesting day! I think it's cool how you get to really get involved with your particular congressman's ideas and choices and inform the public about his decisions. I wonder though, have you ever had to deal with discussing his views when you don't necessarily agree?

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, that sounds like a really exciting work day. I would LOVE to intern in Washington, DC, especially in the US House of Representatives. I also can't believe giving a tour takes at least two hours. That is totally crazy.

    I look forward to reading more about your time in DC!

    ReplyDelete