Monday, October 13, 2014

Leadership Role in My Office

I am able to show and develop different leadership skills while working in my congressional office because of the wonderful office staff in my building. The legislative correspondent really allows me do different activities that help me learn more about congress and the legislative process. For instance, the office staff was gone in the district all last week and he gave the other intern and I the opportunity to argue either the pro or con side of a bill that had just been introduced into the house.  The bill had to do with education and I took the con side. This was challenging because I had the opposite opinion on the subject matter but I had to put my opinions aside and take a professional and educated take on the project.

I presented the information that I had gathered for the legislative correspondent and after both interns presented the information the legislative correspondent told me that because of my presentation he was going to suggest to the Congressman to vote no on the bill. I was incredibly happy when I learned this. It really showed that my input was valuable and I feel like I was incredibly trusted by the legislative correspondent. I gained some valuable leadership capabilities from my boss trusting me with this information. I learned how to give a presentation in professional setting and I also learned how to take on a workload that had major impact. Overall I learned a lot and have gained a lot of skills but I can’t wait to continue learning more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment